Strategic Message Planner – Dr Pepper Dawn of Justice
- Advertising Goal
- To persuade DC comic book fans, DC action movie fans, children and their families who enjoy the movies, as well as people who are just interested in the collectible items that can accumulate value over time, in addition to Dr Pepper drinks, to become even more drawn to Dr Pepper products, and feel compelled to buy more Dr Pepper as a result of our campaign.
- Client: Key Facts
- First bottle was sold Jan. 12, 1885
- Dr Pepper offered to give everyone a drink in 2008, if Guns ‘N’ Roses would release their album “decade-in-the-works”.
- Dr Pepper has its own museum dedicated to the drink, located in Waco, Texas.
- Dr Pepper is known to blend 23 different flavors in the United States and some other countries
- Can heat this beverage and add lemon to it to make a hot drink
- Dr Pepper is owned by Dr Pepper Snapple Group and not by Coca-Cola nor Pepsi.
- Dr Pepper also comes in a flavor which is caffeine free
- Legend has it that Dr Pepper was named after the father of a girl whom Wade Morrison loved
- Wade Morrison was the owner of the drug store in which Charles discovered this drink by an experiment
- It was originally made with imperial pure cane sugar
- Product: Key Features
- In 2012, the company won a Customer Satisfaction award, The Civic 50 award for helping make a difference in communities, The DOT supplier of the year award for outstanding supply chain service and overall service response, Won the beverage form of the year for 2010
- In 1950, Dr Pepper became Dr Pepper to remove any “medicinal association” it had.
- Dr Pepper is available in 9 flavors including: Dr Pepper, Dr Pepper Ten, Diet Dr Pepper, Dr Pepper Cherry, Diet Dr Pepper Cherry, Caffeine Free Dr Pepper, Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, and Caffeine Free Diet Dr Pepper.
- Previous flavors were: Dr Pepper Berries & Cream, Diet Cherry Chocolate Dr Pepper, Dr Pepper “Made with Real Sugar”, Dr Pepper Red Fusion, and Dr Pepper Zero.
- Dr Pepper was originally made with pure cane sugar but switched to high fructose corn syrup because it was cheaper.
What is the Purpose of the Product?
- The purpose of this product is to provide consumers with a unique beverage from other soft drinks and to help cut costs along the way, while being the best beverage company in America.
Who and What Made the Product?
- Charles Alderton invented Dr Pepper in a drug store
- Alderton continued mixing the flavors of the beverage until his customers thought it was just right.
- The first drink was sold Jan. 12, 1885
- Target Audience:
- The target audience is those who are already Dr Pepper consumers, fans/collectors of the DC comic characters and those who are fans of the movie who otherwise would not feel compelled to consume Dr Pepper if not for the comic book characters.
- Dr Pepper is sold in a variety of stores, where prices range for their products in the amount of $1 and on up.
- The average target audience is 7 years old and up.
- Members of this group are from all types of demographics, who have some sort of disposable income or can get a parent or guardian to purchase this product for them
- Target members of this group are male and female of all demographics, which like to indulge in a caffeinated beverage here and there.
- Most members in this group have parental support or some sort of income to purchase this non-expensive product
- Members of this audience lead both normal and un-normal lives. Some may be obsessed with drinking this beverage every day, while others may tend to drink it on occasion.
- This target audience is more inclined to purchase other soft drink beverages from other competitor companies, however our beverage stands out from the rest with it having never been a cola beverage.
- Product Benefits
- Dr Pepper provides consumers with a refreshing drink that is unique in the soft drink market and separate from the “cola” market.
- It’s the oldest big name soft drink in the country, hailing from Texas in the 1885 and gaining national attention at the 1904 World’s Fair, the same event that brought the hamburger, hot dog and the ice cream cone to the world stage.
- Dr Pepper boasts the same unique flavor of over 125 years with minor substitutions in the recipe to accommodate manufacturing in modern times.
- Dr Pepper provides consumers with a refreshing, unique, soft drink taste unparalleled by any other big name soft drink manufacturers in the soda business.
- With DC, Dr Pepper has started the business of the collectible super hero cans that will continue into the Dawn of the Justice League, one of the most renowned comic book groups of super heroes, which be reproduced in live action films in the years to come, in the footsteps of the Batman vs Superman movie that our current can-collecting/story-telling campaign is focusing on. The next hero on the docket is Wonder Woman. These DC-specific products further our mission of story telling. By manufacturing these cans with the DC superheroes, we’re furthering historical comic-book stories and helping bring them into the limelight in 2016.
- Direct & Indirect Competitors
Direct Competitor of Dr Pepper
- Dr Pepper and Coca Cola: seeing as how they’ve done more than one superhero can campaign, and is a major competitor.
Indirect Competitors and Brand Images
- Pepsi and Dr Pepper: is an indirect competitor because event though they’re both major players in the soft drink industry, they do not play as major a role in this campaign as Coca-Cola does because they are not involved with the comic book to life action movie trend and do not partner with any of the major companies for these specific movies.
- Coca-Cola and Pepsi are our two major competitors. Technically, Coca-Cola and Pepsi are of the “cola” soft drink variety, which excludes Dr Pepper, technically.
- Product Brand Image
- Current Image: The target audience is anyone and everyone who have tried and enjoyed a Dr Pepper soft drink.
- Desired Brand Image: Dr Pepper has hosted many different initiatives to being a unique soft drink company. The company has collaborated with different companies and different people to create something new and catchy to consumer’s eyes. The target audience is aware of the brand, but is they aware of the brand due to the new collaborations and campaigns, the numbers will tell that. Coca cola and Pepsi offer a different beverage called “cola”, and are two main competitors of Dr Pepper; while Coca Cola does do some campaigns similar to Dr Pepper; it is our goal to use our ad campaigns and cans to continue to tell a story of hard-working, legendary heroes.
- Strategic Message
- We want fans of Superman, Batman, and now Wonder Woman, to be as loyal to Dr Pepper as they are to their favorite DC heroes.
- Supporting Evidence
- Dr Pepper is one of the oldest major soft drinks in the U.S.
- This summer 2016, Dr Pepper is launching a unique label design campaign to get many consumers to pick their own unique Dr Pepper
- Dr Pepper is made with 23 flavors
- The company has a 4% increase in net sales, most of which are in the U.S.
- Dr Pepper launched the DC campaign early 2016